Dominican Republic

Dominican Republic

Monday, May 24, 2010

Post by Carlos

May 24, 2010

Stacy told me that I could also write posts for the blog. So…sometimes you will see posts by her, and sometimes I will post (when she allows of course). :)

Our journey started when Stacy and I really felt like we were meant to be doing more for God. We both have a big heart for kids and knew we wanted to do some type of mission work with kids. We have kids that love to come to our house and sometimes we have as many as 8 kids at our house. That being said we started searching for missions that involved kids. I also wanted to maybe somehow incorporate sports into the mission. So the search began and to our surprise, it was hard to find missions that involved sports. As God always does, He leads you to the right place. On April 12th , we both got a post on Facebook from our Sunday School Administrator for a mission group based in Houston that does missions around baseball. Baseball has always been a big part of my life. This was the perfect mission for us.

We went to our first mission meeting on April 25th and we knew this was the mission for us. Also – originally we had thought we would go without the kids for our first mission. For financial reasons, and also because this would be our first ever mission trip – we felt it would be better to leave the kids at home. However, during the first meeting Stacy and I both felt strongly led to bring our boys on the trip. We walked out of the meeting, and I turned to Stacy and said, “I don’t know about you – but I want to do whatever we can to bring the kids with us.” Amazingly, this is exactly what she was thinking as well. We instantly started trying to get the funds together to go and started collecting used baseball equipment.

It was truly amazing to see all this equipment coming in from friends and family and complete strangers. We started selling domino necklaces and bag tags to earn the money for the trip cost. This has been amazing too; it has been great talking to different people and seeing their reaction to the dominos we create. No words can explain the feeling you get when you are doing God’s work. Every time I turn around there is another blessing from an unexpected source.

I was truly floored when I asked a few places to put drop boxes for baseball equipment. What amazed me was how receptive these businesses were. Hilton Furniture, Hooters Seabrook, Chick Fil A Kemah, Chillin’ Time Friendswood, and Bayside Little League. Each of these places graciously allowed us to place drop boxes for collecting equipment.

God Bless -- Carlos

No comments:

Post a Comment