Dominican Republic

Dominican Republic

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

7 days and counting...

Carlos has been posting up a storm…so I better get busy! We are getting so excited about our trip! I would like to take a few minutes today and write a little more about why we decided to look for mission work. We tossed the idea around a little over the past year – but never got serious with it until this year. Carlos likes to observe Lent. He was raised Catholic and even though we attend a Baptist church – he still likes to observe Lent because it helps him focus on the reason for the Easter season. Being the supportive wife I am :) -- I observe Lent with him as well.

As you know, Lent is 40 days. For some reason, at the beginning of Lent, I felt led to read The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. I couldn’t get this book off my mind…I knew God was telling us to read it. I had read the book a few years ago, but didn’t really “get” the book. Apparently I wasn’t spiritually ready for the book back then. Carlos and I decided to read the book together– Lent’s 40 days – the book is 40 days– a good fit. We read the daily chapter separately and then we would discuss it at night. I liked reading the daily chapter first so I could highlight the parts I thought Carlos should give special attention. :) I’m such a good wife like that!

Little did I know how our lives were about to change! This is an awesome book. If you feel you’re ready for something more in your spiritual walk – but you’re not quite sure what you’re looking for --- read the Purpose Driven Life. Follow the instructions and read one chapter each day. You really do need the time to think about each chapter’s meaning before moving on to the next. I loved the first day’s subject – “It’s Not About Me.” Whoa…talk about stopping you in your tracks. This book will make you think. The first seven days of the book are now available free online at:
The First Seven Days

I love the very first day where we read, “Contrary to what many popular books, movies, and seminars tell you, you won’t discover your life’s meaning by looking within yourself. You’ve probably tried that already. You didn’t create yourself, so there is no way you can tell yourself what you were created for!”

Great food for thought!

God Bless,

Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment