Dominican Republic

Dominican Republic

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

June 9, 2010 -- First Day of Camp / Bible Study


Today started off very chaotic, but it all came together. Our site, “La Union,” had at least 150 kids. I was very fortunate to work with the 13-15 year old group. This group has some very talented young men. I had one young man that looked like “Big Pappi” David Ortiz. It was very humbling to see most of these kids with no gloves. In my group of 12, only 2 of them had their own gloves. Back at home we wouldn’t think about sending our kids to a baseball camp without a glove. They asked if we brought shoes for them. They really wanted spikes. For these kids, it’s too expensive for them to even buy a used pair of spikes. We are so blessed to be able to bring them all the equipment that everyone so generously donated.

It was so awesome to see God in action today. After a very short time, these kids were looking up to me and setting an example for the younger kids. I was being blessed at the same time that I was blessing them. To see the excitement and joy in their faces was overwhelming. I was so involved with the kids that I didn’t notice the heat, lack of food, or even the time. I felt like I was in my element and enjoying every minute of it. When it came time for lunch, chaos really ensued. Kids were pushing and fighting and didn’t want to form a line. I called my group back from the others and explained that the younger kids look up to them for an example. We needed them to set a good example and be patient and wait their turn. They were so eager to do that. They helped us organize the younger kids in lines and waited until all the younger kids had been served before they got line. That was awesome to witness.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

God Bless,

Carlos

No comments:

Post a Comment